Monday, July 31, 2006

Skewers - North 2nd Street, Harrisburg

316 North 2nd Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
717-221-8220

How exciting to try something new in Harrisburg! Skewers is a catchy and fitting name for a grilled shish kabob place. Situated along the “upper end” of Restaurant Row on 2nd Street, this place is ideal for people-watching. Sitting outside you won’t miss any of the busy foot traffic.

Our meal started with very flavorful Romanian flatbread served with a delicious dipping sauce…the owner’s secret recipe. The bread was followed by what became my favorite part of the meal, yellow lentil soup. Even in the heat of summer, this soup was delightful. I could have eaten the bread and another bowl of this soup and called it dinner. I can’t wait to have this again.

My friend and I ordered two different skewers to share. She ordered the Dry Rub Salmon Kabob and I had the Lamb Boti Kabob. Both were wonderful. The lamb is from New Zealand. I bet it would have tasted good just by itself, but the spices really made it special. The presentation was beautiful. Two different sauces added color and flavor to the dish and a special chutney made a wonderful condiment.

Although we were quite full from the fair portions, we ordered dessert. Mangos and vanilla ice cream, and a very yummy rice pudding…definitely worth saving room.

We drank a 2005 Beaujolais-Villages from Georges Duboeuf – a nice, simple wine that did not compete at all with the flavors of our dinner. I think if I go again, I will bring something a little more dynamic. The flavors offered on this unique menu could definitely stand up to a bigger wine…maybe a California Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon. Next time! Wine glasses were provided. The staff opened the bottle and served us throughout the course of the evening.

The wait staff and owners were friendly and attentive. They seem to enjoy working there as much as I enjoyed my dinner. And don’t think that because this is a BYOB that things shut down after dinner. Passersby late into the evening can get something fresh off the grill for a late night snack. The staff of Skewers brings the grill right out to the sidewalk on 2nd Street. I am sure the people-watching opportunities go up at that time of night!

The owner and his family relocated to Harrisburg to raise his family. He says he is committed to keeping Skewers as a BYOB, a refreshing alternative on Restaurant Row. I promise I will be back again.