Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Pizza Delight - Derry Street, Harrisburg

Pizza Delight
5840 Derry St, Harrisburg, PA 17111
(717) 564-5100

The Pizza Delight is my favorite place for pizza in the Harrisburg area, but I think the best thing on the menu is the Sausage Special sub sandwich. It is the same sausage and pepperoni that they put on the pizza but smothered with their excellent tomato sauce and stuffed into one of their fresh baked rolls. I always order it with cheese and sauteed peppers and onions. Not very diet conscious, but well worth the calories.

Just about any kind of dry red wine goes well with the Sausage Special. I have been there so many times I have probably tried them all from traditional Italian Chianti to bold California Zinfandel.

If you are inclined to try the pizza, I challenge you to try a white wine like a Pinot Grigio. It goes surprisingly well with the acidic tomato sauce. I especially like the wine chilled in the summertime.

The atmosphere at Pizza Delight is like any other sit-down or take-out pizza joint in America. It has bright lights, spacious tables and booths, but no tablecloths or candles. You walk up to the counter and order your own dinner, but the very friendly staff will bring it to your table. This may be one of the friendliest restaurants I have ever encountered.

Pizza Delight is inexpensive and the food is delicious. It is always BYOB, but bring your own corkscrew and your own glasses.